Pages

Thursday 4 October 2012

The Sweet Realisation That You Are Not the First


There is a quote. Where from I cannot remember, but paraphrased it is something like realising other people have gone through the same things as you makes dealing with it that much easier. This is something which I like to take on board every so often, and one that I associate with my late teenage years. Like a lot of teenagers, when I was sixteen I experienced the first time of heartbreak and rejection. A relationship with a boy went from friend to crush to sex in a matter of weeks and it very quickly ended, but at the time I felt like the world had ended. Nothing had ever felt as horrific as I was feeling right then. That whole experience changed me. I remember at one point feeling like a shell of my former self, not knowing if I would ever be happy again, which I personally struggled the most with. When you are so heartbroken and sad it is almost impossible to remember how to be happy and there seems to be a complete disconnection with the person you once were who could be and knew how to be happy. 

 However, the thing that pulled me out of this depressed rut was the realisation that I was not alone. I was not the first person, nor was I the last to ever feel that way. The majority of people at some stage in their life will feel that same sense of rejection and heartache and, in some sadistic way, this makes everything seem a little bit better. My sixteen year old self related entirely to the song 'She Falls Asleep Pt.2' by McFly. 'She falls asleep and all she thinks about is you/ She falls asleep and all she dreams about is you' and 'Unaware that she's hurting/ Bad and lying very still on the floor by the door/ But it's locked 'cause she was hoping/ That you would come back for more/ But it's too late to realise you've made mistakes' were the lyrics I lived a year and a half of my life by. It's an extremely sad song, but hearing someone pour their heartache out into song made me feel connected with someone, even if I didn't know Tom from McFly personally.

 I recently stumbled across this post on Thought Catalog, 'a place for relevant and relatable non-fiction and thought,' which entirely summed up an emotion I have felt for the last three years when I was heartbroken for a second time, except this time I was in love. The last three years since we broke up and since I fell in love again and moved on, I have often pondered over the question of Where does the love you once had for someone go when you're not supposed to love them anymore? I firmly believe that once you love someone, a part of you always belongs to that person, and that is not a bad thing. Even if that person tore your heart out and stamped and spit all over it, the fact that you loved them does not go away. Therefore, this 'thought' was one that I could immediately relate to. The question over social rules of not seeing that person again. The unacceptable idea that you could still be concerned over that person's well being even though in most other aspects of life this compassion is commendable.

If you have ever been in love or heartbroken, read it. It's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment